Monday, October 1, 2012

Maple Berry Overnight Oats

Overnight Oats

Mornings are cooler, evenings mild yet brisk and drinkable. Summer is officially over, and fall is upon us. Sunday was living proof of this with its sixty degree temperatures, cloudy skies, and rainy afternoon. Rather perfect actually. The farmers market saw fewer tomatoes, no peaches, more squash and pumpkins, apples aplenty.

While parts of me live for the cool comfort of fall, other parts want to cling to the sweet morsels of summer.

Overnight Oats

These overnight oats give me the best of both worlds (in breakfast form anyway)--cool bursts of berries with warm flavors of maple and oats. And it's ready for grabbing right out of the fridge, making it all the more appealing for my typical rushing-around-running-late-forgetting-things-every-morning ways.

Yep, I am seriously obsessed with this breakfast.

Maple Berry Overnight Oats
makes one serving

Note: This recipe can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free oats and can be made dairy free by substituting extra almond milk for yogurt.

1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3+ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, plus more for the morning
2 Tbsp. plain yogurt (I use Fage Total 0%)
1-2 Tbsp. maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste or extract
pinch cardamom
1-2 handfuls of berries*

In a pint mason jar or tupperware container, stir together all ingredients except berries until thoroughly mixed together. Add berries and stir to evenly distribute throughout oats. Cover tightly and place in the refrigerator overnight (or a few hours).

The oats will be quite thick in the morning. Since I like my oats pretty creamy, I stir in extra almond milk before eating.

*I also really love these oats with slices of banana. If you decide to add banana, make sure all the slices are submerged in the oats so that they don't turn brown.

Overnight Oats

3 comments:

  1. I'm really not a big fan of oats.
    But now I want them.

    Look what you've done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I do believe these oats could convert oat haters to oat lovers. For reals!

      Delete
  2. I JUST tried eating raw oatmeal and have fallen desparately in love... I have heard bloggers rave about "over night oats" for quite some time now, but never bothered because I love my cooked oatmeal. But when I didn't want to wait to cook and cool (I eat my cooked oatmeal cold) my oatmeal, I decided to just not cook them and pour some almond milk with some stevia over them. SOOOO GOOD! I haven't tried leaving them over-night... first time I ate it right away (almond milk and yogurt) and second time, Almond milk and english toffee stevia, I let sit for about 30 min. Both were great! I guess the Swiss have it right with their Muesli!! (I also had an apple at the same time as my last oats, and taking bites of both together just doubled the goodness!!

    ReplyDelete